Tuesday, February 3, 2015

January Fiction Mini-Reviews

January has been, on the whole, a pretty great start to my reading year. Rounding up with some mini-reviews:

Apollo 13 meets Cast Away in this grippingly detailed, brilliantly ingenious man-vs-nature survival thriller, set on the surface of Mars.

I absolutely loved The Martian. It was funny, clever and full of hard core science without feeling like hard core sci fi. Husband loved it too, and I feel like it's going to be one of those books that I'm constantly pressing on people, buying as a gift and generally convincing others to read. That includes you, get to it! 5/5 stars




Only nine people have ever been chosen by renowned children’s author Laura White to join “The Rabbit Back Literature Society,” an elite group of writers in the small town of Rabbit Back. Now a tenth member has been selected: Ella, a young literature teacher. Soon Ella discovers that the Society is not what it seems.

One word keeps coming to mind with this book - ethereal. It's magical, sometimes funny, sometimes scary and deeply disturbing, but mostly just ethereal. Its that type of magical realism that makes you doubt yourself and the perspective of every narrator and character in the thing. Unfortunately, it was slightly ruined for me by the unnecessarily disturbing aspects (the members of my book club who also read it agreed). 3.5/5 stars


Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems besides the point now.

Another LOVE read. Rainbow Rowell dives into the realities of a love that's been around for a long time like few writers have ever done before (that I've read anyway). It so perfectly captures married love, it's difficulties and it's triumphs. I'm so glad I have a hard copy (signed) because this is one I'll treasure for a long time. 5/5 stars. 




Northern Iceland, 1829. A woman condemned to death for murdering her lover. A family forced to take her in. A priest tasked with absolving her. But all is not as it seems, and time is running out.

Beautifully written and lots of great themes/symbology going on (you know I love me some of that). But somehow it just didn't grab me like I expected it would. Perhaps because the storyline is somewhat predictable? I saw every turn a mile off and could have foretold the end accurately after the first two chapters. 3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment