Saturday, January 17, 2015

Reading Resolutions

This year I'm not signing up to many formal reading challenges. My Goodreads challenge number is set ridiculously low, so I don't feel the pressure of having to meet it. Towards the end of 2014 I was surprised by how much pressure I was feeling to hit that number, finish that challenge.

This year, I'm taking a different approach. No set goals, no numbers. Just a mantra. Widen my reading. In 2015 I want to do this by:

  • Reading more books in translation
  • Reading more books on nonfiction topics that I don't know much about, instead of sticking to the same old areas (history mainly). Science nonfiction especially. 
  • Reading more books by authors that identify as a different ethnicity to myself, who are also not white British or white North American.
  • Reading more books by authors from my country of origin.
To make the reasoning behind the last two points clear, I personally self-identify as Pākehā (New Zealander of European descent). As such, I find myself in the strange situation that I would like to read more books by those that identify differently, but already almost exclusively do - like many others, I fall into the trap of reading mostly white British, and white North American authors. I want to diversify my reading, while also recognising the diversity of my own ethnicity (as demonstrated by the offensive 'White, Other' box I have to tick on forms when living outside of my home country) and the need to read more books that come out of my own cultural landscape.

By not pressurising myself with a specific goal, but publicising my process and progress here (I want to update on this topic from time to time), hopefully its something that will just incorporate itself into my reading life. Here's hoping anyway . . . we can do nothing but try!!

1 comment:

  1. I like that. 'Widen my reading' sounds good to me. I don't want to count this year either. Instead, I just want to read consistently, whenever I want to.

    ReplyDelete