Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Bookish Quiz

I used to love these kinds of quizzes as an early teen, so when I saw this Bookish one done by Sarah at Sarah Says Read, I totally couldn't resist. I hope you all appreciate it, because it took a long time with the T and Y keys on my keyboard not working!!! (also, forgive the awful formatting, it's late)


1. Favorite childhood book:
The Jeremy James series, by David Henry Wilson. I listened to these on audiobook over and over and only recently thought to track down paper copies so I can share them with my children one day  - unfortunately they're out of print, but I've been picking them up slowly secondhand.

2. What are you reading right now?
10% into The Pilgrims Progress (which I've DNF twice in the last five years). The Jelly Effect, by Andy Bounds, which is a corporate communications book for work. Sort of dipping into Blood, Sweat and Tea by Tom Reynolds - a memoir of being an Ambulance officer, but not feeling particularly engaged.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None, which is unusual!
4. Bad book habit: 
Can't think of any? I plead innocent!!

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Crown of Midnight, by Sarah J. Maas. Shift, by Hugh Howey. The Republic of Thieves, by Scott Lynch

6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yep, I've had a Kindle for about three years and love it (but will never give up paper).
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
This may seem odd considering I'm currently reading three, but I'm usually a one-at-a-time sorta girl

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Lots! I read far more classics now then I was, thanks to The Classics Club, and reading Advanced Reader Copies and participating in challenges means my reading habits are a bit more scheduled in terms of what I pick up when.

9. Least favorite book you read this year:
The Magpies, by Mark Edwards. It was a book club pick and just really not my thing.
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year:
I can’t pick one. Maybe Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster or (for something completely different), Burning Girls, by Veronica Schanoes.
11. How often do you read outside of your comfort zone?
My comfort zone is fairly wide (see below) so not often at all

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Almost anything - the only genres I can say I truly don't read is horror and paranormal. Thrillers and hard sci-fi/high fantasy rarely get a look in, but still turn up occasionally

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes, but not as well or for as long as I could as a kid. 

14. Favorite place to read:
In bed, when its raining and I have a cup of tea.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
Only to family and people who I know appreciate books the same way I do. Bad experiences man.

16. Do you dog-ear your books?
NEVER
17. Do you write notes on the margins of your books?
NEVER
18. Do you break/crack the spines?
Not on purpose, but it happens.

19. What is your favorite language to read?
English is all I have. . . . so that. We have some French and Spanish children's books on our bookshelves due to my husband's multi-cultural/national upbringing that I would love to be able to say I can read one day.
20. What makes you love a book?
Great plotting where I can't predict everything that's going to happen, truly three dimensional characters and thematic impact. Thematic impact is usually the one that really gets me. Humour helps too. 

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
Because it feels like it would fit the person. Since studying the art of direct readers' advisory in my Library diploma I tend to be more cautious about book recommendations and only give when asked

22. Favorite genre:
Don’t have a favorite. I’ll take it all (almost - see q.12)
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did):
Graphic Novels - I need to make more of an effort

24. Favorite biography:
Favourite this year is Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine that Launched Modern China, by Jung Chang

25. Have you read a self-help book (and was it helpful)? 
Uhhhmm I think the closest I've come to self-help was The Complex Infrastructure Known as the Female Mind many many years ago. And not really.
26. Favorite cook book:
The Edmonds Cookery Book. Which you probably won't know of unless you come from New Zealand. And if you do come from New Zealand, probably can't live without.
27. The most inspirational book you’ve read this year:
Either The End of Your Life Book Club, by Will Schwalbe, or Behind the Beautiful Forevers, by Katherine Boo (for very different reasons!)
28. Favorite reading snack:
I don't tend to snack while reading? Probably a good thing

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience:
The Book Thief. I just didn't get what the fuss was about, and the continued hype makes me feel kinda bad for not getting what the fuss is about.
30. How often do you agree with the critics about a book?
With literary fiction, surprisingly often. Less so for genre fiction (mainly because I stoop to reading it in general)

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
Fine. So long as I don't use a bad review to railroad other peoples opinions, then I'm allowed to have my own.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which would it be?
French.

33. Most intimidating book I’ve ever read:
Les Mis? (which I loved, as it turned out)

34. Most intimidating book I’m to nervous to begin:
The Luminaries. It's big. And because it's set in a familiar place I want to like it so bad. 

35. Favorite Poet:
I read less poetry than I should and honestly can't think of a favourite off the top of my head! Love and Leftovers, by Sarah Tregay, was a great great verse novel I read recently though

36. How many books do you generally have checked out of the library at a given time?
3 or 4. 

37. How often do you return books to the library unread?
Far more often then I'd like. . . . (usually after max renewals)

38. Favorite fictional character:
So do not know. Ugh. To many characters. Maybe Locke Lamora? (from Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series)

39. Favorite fictional villain:
See above. So do not know. Ugh. To many characters.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation:
Easy reads - I like not thinking when I'm on holiday :)

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading:
A week maybe???

42. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Not much really. The cat?

43. Name a book you could not finish:
The last book I started but didn't finish was The Count of Monte Christo . . . . but I still intend to, soon

44. Favorite film adaption of a novel:
The Princess Bride - a spiritful adaptation of a gorgeous, brilliant book

45. The most disappointing film adaptation:
SOOOOO MMAAANNNNY!!! To many to chose. Enders Game made me sad not long ago - the really missed the nuances which made the book impactful

46. Most money I’ve ever spent in a bookstore at one time:
$50NZ? (25 pounds). Not a whole lot anyway. I'd prefer to give my money to the library

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never (though I admit I sometimes check out the plot on Wikipedia for hyped up books)

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through it?
Depicting something I deeply disagree with sometimes tips me over the line, but more often boredom/I got busy and needed a different kind of book

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Not particularly. I have vague bookshelves for fiction vs. nonfiction vs. classics, but really I just cram them in where-ever they'll fit!!

50. Do you prefer to keep your books when done, or give them away?
Keeeeeeeppp. Until I have a bookshelf clear out so I can make more room to keeeeepppp.
51. Are there any books that you’ve been avoiding?
Some of the hefty classics from my list

52. Name a book that made you angry:
 Most recently Lady Catherine and the Real Downton Abbey. So maaannnnyyy inaccuracies. 

53. A book I didn’t expect to like but did:
 Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman. Loved every second

54. A book I expected to like but didn’t:
Parasite, by Mira Grant. I think I expected it to be cleverer than it was.

55. Favorite guilt-free guilty-pleasure reading:
No guilt here. My brain turns to Regency Romance (e.g Julia Quinn) and YA Fantasy (e.g Tamora Pierce, Kristin Cashore) when it can't handle real life

Well, that was fun. . . .. . . your turn!!!

1 comment: