Saturday, August 2, 2014

Bookish events

This last week I was lucky enough to attend not just one, but two bookish events! This was a big thing for me, because book events just don't happen where I come from. The occasional children's author might do a talk at a library, but that's it. Very rarely do international authors make their way all the way down to NZ. I've said it before and I will say it again. . .yay for living in the UK!!

On Tuesday night I got to see the lovely Rainbow Rowell speak. It was such a fun evening. I had my other half with me (he's also read several of her books, on my insistence), which made waiting in line an hour to make sure we got good seats a breeze! Rainbow was an articulate and engaging speaker, really easy to listen to. I picked up a copy of Landline and got that signed, along with my copies of Fangirl and Attachments.


On Thursday I attended a book event of a very different sort  - the launch of 19 (!) year old Alice Oseman's debut novel Solitaire. I'm not sure how this one crossed my radar, but the book looks great and it was lovely to see so many people turn out to support a very young debut novelist. The Q&A was great fun, as Alice was refreshingly frank about the writing process and the book itself  - even listing her dream cast.


I feel so lucky about how easy it is for me to get to these types of events now! I met some lovely people and bloggers and it was so wonderful to be able to discuss books and blogging with people that just 'got' what was going on. Long may it continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment