Sunday, July 27, 2014

Visiting Chatsworth

Linking up to Austen in August, hosted by Lost Generation Reader. I love this event, so look forward to a few more Austen related posts in the coming month!



One of the exciting things about living in the UK for this Kiwi girl is the chance to visit places that have historical and literary significance. Last week we took an unexpected day off when my sister-in-law visited us and took a day trip to Chatsworth. This stately home came into being in 1549! That's approximately 300 years longer than my home country has had European settlement! It's the subject of many non-fiction titles, and also inspired many famous literary icons (it's believed to be the original inspiration for Jane Austen's Pemberly and many of the adaptations have been filmed there). Here's some photos from our lovely day out!











9 comments:

  1. I love it!! I would love to visit the UK someday and go to all the amazing literary places! There are so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are!! I have a long long list of places to see

      Delete
  2. Please do not kiss! That's hilarious. Thanks for the virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought that was hilarious too!

      Delete
  3. Simply gorgeous! I'll be writing about my Austen travels sometime this month, but I never visited Chatsworth while there. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was well worth it, I'd love to go back again because even with a whole day I didn't feel like we did everything justice

      Delete
  4. Aah a fellow non-English England inhabiter ;) where in the UK do you live? I have always wanted to go to Chatsworth, but haven't gotten around to it. I think I might faint if I do. The Keira Knightley 'Pride & Prejudice' was my first, so this has always been Pemberley for me. I'm a new follower ;) Hop by my #AusteninAugust Masterpost if you have the time :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the East Midlands :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love the do not kiss sign on Matthew McFayden's bust - I hope you have some more pics of the English countryside for as the month goes on :-)

    ReplyDelete