Saturday, May 10, 2014

Bout of Books 10 - Goals

Bout of Books 

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 10 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

So, my very first Bout of Books starts on Monday! I better set some goals and stuff. I'm going to be fairly easy on myself, both because it's my first Bout of Books and because I just started a new job and am more tired/have less time than usual at the moment.

Goals
  • Read 3 books (I normally average two a week)
  • Comment on at least two blogs a day, one of which has to be new-to-me
  • Participate in at least two mini-challenges
  • Write one not-review blog post
I think those are achievable! Here's the pile of books I'll be choosing from


Heavy Weather, by P.G Wodehouse (the third book in this compilation)
Railsea, by China Mieville
Wool, by Hugh Howey
The Boy in the Book, by Nathan Penlington

I'm most excited about Behind the Beautiful Forevers and The Boy in the Book, as I've been in the mood for some good non-fiction lately. I'll also be alternating each book read with a chapter from Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914, by Max Hasting, which I've been reading in bite sized chunks since February.

Updates

Monday
Starting page: p.390
Number of pages I've read today: 101 
Books: Heavy Weather, by P.G Wodehouse
Total number of books I've finished: 0

Not a great day so far - I had lots of reading time, but still didn't make much progress. Obviously my brain was to tired from the weekend (we built a garden shed) to read as fast as normal!!

Tuesday
Starting page: p.499
Number of pages I've read today: 207
Books: Heavy Weather, by P.G Wodehouse. Behind the Beautiful Forevers, by Katherine Boo
Total number of books I've finished: 1

A much better reading day today brain wise. I had almost exactly the same amount of reading time as yesterday, but doubled my page count! And I finished Heavy Weather, which will knock Life at Blandings off my Classics Club list once I've written a review.

Wednesday
Starting page: p.85
Number of pages I've read today: 171
Books: Behind the Beautiful Forevers, by Katherine Boo
Total number of books I've finished: 2

Two books finished, yay!! Another one that will have a review coming soon

Thursday
Starting page: 62%
Number of pages I've read today: to 69%, approx 46 pages
Books: Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914, by Max Hastings
Number of books I've finished: 2

My worst page count so far today! Just two chapters of Catastrope. To be honest, it was more than I was expecting - the book is interesting, but it's dry academic reading.

Friday
Starting page: 1
Number of pages I've read today: 73
Books: Railsea, by China Mieville
Number of books I've finished: 2

A good day for life = a bad day for reading! Really I'm just experiencing end of the week tiredness and my eyes/brain were struggling to focus. 

Saturday
Starting page: 73
Number of pages I've read today: 159
Books: Railsea, by China Mieville
Number of books I've finished: 2

To much sun to take advantage of to read all day, but I still did ok
Sunday
Starting page: p.232
Number of pages I've read today: 302
Books: Railsea, by China Mieville, The Boy in the Book, by Nathan Pennington
Number of books I've finished:3

My best reading day of the week just to round everything off!!! 

11 comments:

  1. Yay for your first time joining in this read-a-thon! Good luck on your goals! I hope you achieve all of them. :)
    My Goals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. It's my first time as well! Looks like you got a great stack of books to get you through the week. Hope you enjoy Wool. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for first timers! I'm looking forward to Wool :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck on your first Bout of Books! This will be my fourth... and I don't plan on stopping any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck to you too

      Delete
  4. Hope you enjoy your first Bout of Books :)
    Wool and Behind the Beautiful Forevers are both supposed to be very good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things, so hopefully I get to them this week

      Delete
  5. I would like to read some China Mieville! I hope you have a lot of fun during your first Bout of Books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's my first China Mieville, but I've heard lots of good things

      Delete
  6. Good job! I hope you can finish strong today!

    ReplyDelete