Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Armchair BEA: Novellas/Short Stories

I really enjoy novellas and short stories, even more so since I got my kindle. You often pick up some wonderful novellas as freebies. That being said, for the most part I'm not such a fan of the novellas that are becoming more and more common between full-length novels in a series. When they're done right, they're lovely, but too often they are completely unnecessary and add nothing to the series.

Short stories are a relaxing break for me between long novels! I also really enjoy non-fiction 'short stories' - the manageable chunks often make non-fiction a lot more readable and 'easy' for me.

Here's some of my favourites from recent years, without any order whatsoever!



What are your favourite short story collections or novellas?

12 comments:

  1. Mmm...I've never thought of creative nonfiction as short stories, but I think I can see that. That said, my favorite collection would have to be the Norton Anthology of Creative Nonfiction. (Just writing the title makes me want to pull it out of my Kindle cloud!)

    Hope you are having a great time at Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look up the Norton Anthology, sounds good!

      Delete
  2. Wow, these all sound excellent. I actually didn't think of including non-fiction on my list; that would have made it even longer! Here it is @ Emerald City Book Review 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by again Lory!

      Delete
  3. Oops, except 84 Charing Cross Road...I don't think of it as non-fiction but of course it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "That being said, for the most part I'm not such a fan of the novellas that are becoming more and more common between full-length novels in a series. When they're done right, they're lovely, but too often they are completely unnecessary and add nothing to the series."

    It's been interesting to hear from book bloggers that the short story in between novels isn't something they enjoy. Short stories in between novels is something that every author is told to do in order to keep their readers engaged between releases. I would have never thought it would have become old among readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a case that it's often more of a marketing ploy that the authors (as you say) 'been told to do' - it shows in the writing

      Delete
  5. I wish I had time for more short stories. I have a book of Eudora Welty short stories staring at me and wondering why I've not read it yet, soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had/made more time for short stories too. Putting together this post has bought home how much I enjoy them

      Delete
  6. Completely agree about novellas! I had a similar answer on my post today.

    Holly @ Words Fueled by Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for stopping by Holly

      Delete
  7. Short stories are hard for me to get used to; I always want more! There was one series I read that was a ton of very short stories... with sequels. I didn't understand why it wasn't just all put together and made into a book.

    ReplyDelete