So what do I do to read diversely? I make sure I include books that:
- Highlight different cultural perspectives
- Are books in translation
- Are by authors who aren't 'white men' (I use 'white men' in quotation marks because really the group I mean isn't solely made up of white men, and some white men write books that truly highlight diversity)
- Feature characters that aren't 'white men'
- Highlight different ways of looking at the world
- Are non-fiction as well as fiction. I find the more I learn about the world and how it operates, the more importance I place on diversity. There's some truly wonderful easy-read non-fiction out there that provides valuable lessons about why acknowledging our diversity and making right past wrongs is so important.