Wednesday, April 2, 2014

One Line Reviews: YA Fantasy Series edition

Sometimes I find myself reading a heap of one genre in one period, usually reflecting my mood at the time somehow. Lately it's been YA fantasy, which I find difficult to review at the best of times. . .  so, one line reviews!!


The Assassin's Curse, by Cassandra Rose Clarke: Fun swashbuckling and interesting worldbuilding, but no-romance in the romance and STUPID NON-CONCLUSIONS 3/5

The Pirates Wish, by Cassandra Rose Clarke: I only read it because of wanting answers to the STUPID NON-CONCLUSIONS. I got some answers, but it still had all the problems of the first installment 3/5






Graceling, by Kristin Cashore: Compelling, unique concept and characterisation, with fantastic supporting characters. Only let down by the completely over-the-top feminist agenda 4/5

Fire, by Kristin Cashore: Fascinating exploration of the concept of desire outside of just sex. Fascinating, flawed heroine. But still the feminist agenda, *sigh* 4/5

Bitterblue, by Kristin Cashore: Fun to pick up a supporting character from Graceling. Amazing characterisation and an intriguing plot, but spoilt by over-complicated sub-plotting, genuinely (physically sickening) disturbing villany and a slightly insta-love relationship 3/5



Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo: Nice Russian inspiration, if not always well-researched. But I felt like I'd read this plot before. Plus I have an intense dislike of dark anti-hero romantic leads . .bla. Barely 3/5

Siege and Storm, by Leigh Bardugo: Given my feelings on the first one, I'm not entirely sure why I read this - because I already had it out from the library perhaps? That being said, the plot took a more unique turn here 3.5/5



Cress, by Marissa Meyer: (I know this is more sci-fi/space opera than fantasy, but I'm chucking it in anyway). Marissa Meyer continues to prove her genius. I've never seen anyone balance multi-perspectives so well. Cress is my favourite. If you haven't picked up The Lunar Chronicles yet then DO IT!!!!!!!!!! 5/5 (I'm going to make my children read these one day. They better release them as a box set).


Cress is definitely my pick of the bunch here. I'd happily re-read Graceling and Fire sometime though.

No comments:

Post a Comment