Friday, April 4, 2014

Most Influential Books in My Life

Jillian at Random Ramblings recently made a list of the most influential books in her life. Book bloggers tend to give lots of explanation with posts like that, but Jillian challenged us to list them with no explanation whatsoever! After seeing Adam's and Melissa's posts, I just had to join in the fun as well.

So here are the most influential books in my life (thus far) . . . if you haven't come across them before, then I hope you take a look at them!

  • The Bible
  • The Protector of the Small quartet, by Tamora Pierce
  • The Princess Bride, by William Goldman
  • Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
  • What Katy Did, by Susan Coolidge
  • Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
  • In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio, by Philippe Bourgois
  • Calvin and Hobbes (all of them), by Bill Watterson
  • The Reading Promise, by Alice Ozma

It's interesting for me seeing them in a list and realising the common themes that run through many of them! It's also interesting seeing what time periods of my life they reflect. The one I read first would have been What Katy Did, which I read for the first time via audiobook when I was 7 or 8. The most recent is The Reading Promise, which I read in January 2013, but has caused me to make some ongoing changes in how I read and do life in general.

What are the most influential books in your life? 

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Farenheit 451 and Calvin and Hobbes!! I haven't read the Reading Promise! It's really fascinating to hear other people's choices, and yours is fantastic. I like your #1 choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been loving reading other people's picks too!

      Delete