Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Classics Club Spin



This is my first time ever jumping into the Classics Club spin. 20 books I'm still to read from my Classics Club list . . . this is my spin list. Next week the Classics Club will draw a number between one and twenty and I'll be aiming to read the corresponding book by the end of March. I'm a bit nervous, this being my first spin and all, but I'm in a classics mood at the moment, so hopefully that will see me well.

In the spirit of absolute fairness, I'm going to take a leaf out of Tiny Library's book and use random.org to decide on my twenty, from my original list of fifty. Here we go. . . .

1. Hemingway, Ernest: The Old Man and the Sea


2. Priestly, J.B: An Inspector Calls
3. Gaskell, Elizabeth: Mary Barton
4. Waugh, Evelyn: Brideshead Revisited
5. Christie, Agatha: Murder on the Orient Express
6. Blackmore, R.D: Lorna Doone (please not yet!)
7. Gaskell, Elizabeth: North and South (will be a reread)
8. Hawthorne, Nathaniel: The Scarlet Letter
9. Mitchell, Margaret: Gone with the Wind (ugh long!)
10. Adams, Richard: Watership Down
11. Rider Haggard, H: King Solomon’s Mines
12. Buchan, John: The Thirty-Nine Steps
13. Remarque, Erich Maria: All Quiet on the Western Front
14. Capote, Truman: Breakfast at Tiffany’s
15. Hugo, Victor: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
16. Walker, Alice: The Color Purple
17. Steinbeck, John: Of Mice and Men
18. Fitzgerald, F. Scott: The Great Gatsby
19. Scott, Sir Walter: Ivanhoe
20. Atwood, Margaret: The Blind Assassin

I'm actually not to upset about this list. I'd happily pick up almost any of them. I'd be very happy with 13, as I'd like to read it this year anyway. I'm not sure if I'm in the right mood for 6 or 9, 6 because of the notoriously difficult language and 9 because of the length. I guess we'll see!

What number are you hoping for fellow spinners?

9 comments:

  1. I have The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Gone With the Wind on my spin list at similar numbers so I would definitely be happy with not getting those! I do want to read both but Hugo scares me and I'm not sure I'm quite in the mood for a tome, generally. The books I'm keen on are at numbers 1 to 5 so I'm hoping for something in that region. Plus, that might leave you with Agatha Christie, whose books I love! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not scared of Hugo anymore, having tackled Les Mis (which I loved), but not sure if I'm ready for another yet! I've enjoyed every Christie that I've read so far, so that would be good!

      Delete
  2. Mary Barton and Hunchback are on my list too. Gone with the Wind is long, but it's a fast read -- I thought it was very easy. And Murder on the Orient Express is just wonderful. I hope you get a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear Gone with the Wind is a fast read, makes me slightly less trepidous!

      Delete
  3. Lucky you; you got two Gaskells on your list. She's great! I read All Quiet on the Western Front last year and it was excellent. A very balance novel about WWI and from a German POV, which is different.

    Have a great Spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she? I've read North and South before (one of my favourites), but not Mary Barton

      Delete
  4. I really like All Quiet on the Western Front, I've read it a few times and loved it each time. I hope you get it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I promised myself I'd get to it this year, it being the 100th anniversary of WWI

      Delete
  5. You can't go wrong with Of Mice and Men or The Old Man and the Sea--two of my very favorite literary works! North and South is also on my list. Good luck and a nice blog you have here.

    ReplyDelete