Wednesday, December 18, 2013

2014 TBR Pile Challenge

My TBR pile continues to increase, so this year I'm joining in again with the TBR pile challenge over at Roof Beam Reader.


You can see Roof Beam Reader for the full list of rules and regulations, but the long and the short of it is that I pick 12 books that have been on my to-read pile for more than a year and get down to reading them. 2 alternates are allowed in case of did-not-finishes from the original pile.

Here's my picks for 2014:

1. The Pilgrims Progress, by John Bunyan (1678)

2. The Canterbury Tales, by Geoffrey Chaucer (1372)

3. The Swerve: How the world became modern, by Stephen Greenblatt (2011)

4. Paris in Love, by Eloisa James (2012)

5. Blood River, by Tim Butcher (2007)

6. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, by Philip K. Dick (1968)

7. Daddy Long Legs, by Jean Webster (1912)

8. Terrier, by Tamora Pierce (2006)

9. V for Vendetta, by Alan Moore (1982)

10. Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood (2003)

11. Blackout, by Connie Wills (2010)

12. Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte (1847)

Alternates:

1. Europe and the People without History, by Eric R. Wolf (1982)
2. New Life Stories, by David Attenborough (2011)

Hopefully that's a nice enough mix of fiction/non-fiction/classic/modern to keep me on track! Unfortunately many of these I own in dead-tree format . . . which means they are currently in a cardboard box in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We'll be reunited in February, but until then I might be sticking with the classics that I can get on my Kindle or are also somewhere in my husband's dead tree collection.

This opening summary will be updated from the devoted page under my header with reviews as they arise. Good luck all!


4 comments:

  1. You have a great mix of books! Enjoy reading and best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that a lot of people have Oryx and Crake on their TBR piles. It sat on mine for ages too - it took a little getting into, but it was an absorbing, fascinating read in the end.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been disapointed by Margaret Atwood before, I just can't believe it has taken me so long to get too!

      Delete