Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (13)


Yay! This is my first Top Ten Tuesday post in a while (forgive me for continuing to drown in study while commuting to a full time job in a country where public transport is non-existent). Join me and the others over at The Broke and the Bookish to talk about Book Turn Offs. You know, that thing when you're half-way through and then you just really want to throw the book against the wall. Here's my list for this week:

1. Cheating. I really dislike cheating characters - there's never really a good reason for it and it will turn me off a character instantly.

2. Using the wrong word. Good editing should get rid of this problem really, but it often doesn't. It really gets to me when an author uses a word that means something completely different.



3. Characters that are ridiculously ridiculously good looking. No one looks perfect in real life. This is book world, not Hollywood land, it's ok if your characters don't look like they've fallen out of a Stepford Wives catalogue. In fact, it's kind of better.

4. Love triangles. There are some good ones out there, but at the moment it's getting kind of overdone. So unless you can really give your characters substance and it really is believable, stay well away.

5. Cancer. This isn't always the case (I am looking forward to getting to the top of the reserve list for The Fault in our Stars at the library), but too often cancer is just used as a trope to create sympathy or opportunity for character death, which trivialises very real pain for many people.

6.Insta-love. It's a stereotypical turn-off, but it's still totally offputting

7. Using the same word to describe the same character over and over again. I get it, they have blue eyes already!

8. Cliff-hangers for no reason other than to get us to read the next book in the series. For some reason it seems to happen most often with the second book in trilogys? It's like the authors just written one massive book and been forced to divide it in two.

9. Names that are meant to be Western-derived but I still can't pronounce. Or aren't names. And shouldn't be names. *sigh* what happened to all the . . . you know. .  David's? John's? Can I have a Rebecca here somewhere?

10. Misplaced kissing/more than kissing. You know, when everything's going great and then suddenly two characters start making out and it's a bit like. . .oh, ok. .  why is that happening??

What are your greatest book turn offs? And have you ever actually thrown a book against a wall? Confession: I haven't, because I couldn't mistreat a book like that, even if the content is awful!

8 comments:

  1. The names thing made my list too... give me an Emily or a Sam any day. And I'm with you on the insta-love. It annoys the hell out of me. cool list :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARGH!!! Names that can't be pronounced drive me INSANE!!! Or names that are too close to something else and could be pronounced a few ways...

    Jac @ For Life, Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list and totally agree with everything, especially #9. It drives me nuts trying to figure out how to pronounce a character's name!

    Elizabeth @ http://fangirlsoffiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your #8 is something that drives me crazy. I dislike cliff-hangers for no reason. Chances are if I like the books and the series I'm going to buy the next one, please don't try to force my hand.

    I agree with you about names to an extent. I, personally like playing with names, it's when authors start coming up with crazy spellings of a simple name. There's a reason why a classic, simple name is a classic---it doesn't need to be messed with.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really dislike cheating and cancer books
    here is mine http://caitstruelife.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-book-turn-offs/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha, the Zoolander reference is win! And the harping on the ocean-blue eyes or whatever. YES. That needs to go as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your statement about cliff hangers leading to the next book in a series. I actually just recently read a book that completely wrapped up, and then in the last few pages of the book, a new problem was introduced in order to lead to a sequel. The author would have been better off just making the sequel a separate and unrelated book.
    Check out my TTT list: http://booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, when words are used incorrectly it drives me crazy and so does instalove.

    Thanks for stopping by my My TTT!

    ReplyDelete