Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (11)


Is it just me or are the weeks rolling around real quick! I can't believe it's September already. Anyways, it's Tuesday! This weeks topic for Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish is Top 10 Contemporary Books That Would Be Great Paired With A Required Reading Book or Top Ten Books That You Wish Were Taught In Schools. Which is a weird topic for me, because the vast majority of required reading I did (in the days where required reading was novels) was contemporary. I think my school had a weird thing against classics?? Anyway, I'm going to do 5 for each topic!



Top 5 Contemporary Books That Would Be Great Paired With A Required Reading Book

1. To Kill a Mockingbird + Noughts and Crosses

2. The Diary of a Young Girl + The Book Thief

3. Lord of the Flies + The Hunger Games

4. The Odyssey + Cloud Atlas

5. Brave New World + Never Let Me Go


 Top 5 Books That You Wish Were Taught In Schools

1. The Protector of the Small series (or anything by Tamora Pierce really). For what it teaches about the role of women

2. The Princess Bride. For what it shows about Fairytale tropes

3. Q & A. For some great narration and the discussions it can provoke about modern poverty (this was the book that inspired Slumdog Millionaire).

4. The Help. Because there's not enough high profile novels out there about civil rights.

5. At Home: A Short History of Private Life. Mainly just because I think they don't teach enough non-fiction. Some of it is as worthy for study as fiction and this is a nice contemporary place to begin.


That's my list(s) for this week! What would you pair together? And what was required reading for you at school? Just to show how contemporary my required reading curriculum was, the books I remember the most are The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Ender's Game and The House of the Scorpion. Our major film study in my second to last year was V for Vendetta!

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting choices, I don't think I've read any of the books you mentioned, but I put Q & A on my reading list. Didn't know that it inspired Slumdo Millionaire.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q & A is definitely worth it. I think I read it about 4 times before Slumdog Millionaire was even a thing!

      Delete
  2. The Diary of a Young Girl and The Book Thief is a good pairing, even if I never want to read The Book Thief again

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Princess Bride would be a great classroom read! And I really like how you paired things together by genre. Great list! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. We thought of some of the same books, except I paired The Help with To Kill A Mockingbird. I've never heard of Noughts and Crosses, but I'm definitely going to check it out! -miathereader.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list of pairings. I like that you paired Lord of the Flies with The Hunger Games. There's a lot of similarities there, but I think it's the contrast between the two that's most interesting.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list! Never Let Me Go sounds great and I plan to read The Princess Bride in December! The only pair I've read is The Diary of a Young Girl and The Book Thief, these two really would go great together.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete