Monday, September 30, 2013

One Sentence Reviews: Spring Edition

I'm not the type of blogger that reviews absolutely everything I read. Some I intend to and then forget about, some I never really intend to (I try not to review audio books unless something about them really strikes me, because it doesn't feel like I'm reviewing quite the same thing as I am when I reviewing just text). But for the change of seasons. . . I'm in the southern hemisphere so it's becoming spring here. . . I thought I'd bring in a feature where I summarise some of what I've missed reviewing in a sentence. Or maybe two. Without further ado. . .

The Uncommon Reader, by Alan Bennett: The consequences of Queen Elizabeth II discovering the mobile library. If you've ever felt love for a book, you'll find this short read delightful. 5/5 stars.

The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs, by Nick Trout: Vetinary pathologist must become a 'real vet' for the first time and confront his past when he inherits his father's practice. Small town drama from the male perspective is unique and it has just enough charm to push over the line. 3.5/5 stars. 

The Merchant and the Alchemists Gate, by Ted Chiang. The most unique time travel story I've read in a long time, maybe ever. 5/5 stars. 

Moranthology, by Caitlin Moran. I wish it was more entertaining than it was, but apart from her love of libraries I just couldn't identify with Moran well. 2/5 stars. 

A Most Wanted Man, by John le Carre. Husband bet me that I wouldn't like John le Carre's work enough to give it four stars or more, despite the writer being considered the best of the genre. As it turns out, he was right. 3/5 stars.

The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After, by Julia Quinn: It was a fitting and charming, if not brilliant, end to a gorgeous series. 3/5 stars.

Paper Towns, by John Green: It felt like the characters were almost to witty to be teenagers. I'll be trying Green again, but I don't think this was the right one to start with. 3/5 stars.

A Change of Fortune, by Jen Turano. Inspirational fiction at its best. Plenty of wit and a fast moving plot, but an over the top ending. 4/5 stars.

Do you review everything you read? Or are you like me and just don't get around to it? 



No comments:

Post a Comment