Monday, September 9, 2013

Classics Club September Meme



 It's already September. Which is weird. Does anyone else find that weird? At least it means it's time for another Classics Club question! This month's question is: rereading a favourite classic at different stages of your life gives you different insights with each reading. Is there one classic you’ve read several times that also tells a story about you?

I kind of surprised myself thinking about this one. I feel like I've re-read a lot of classics, but I really haven't! I re-read Pride and Prejudice a lot when I was younger, but have now taken a break from it for about five years. In fact I think there's only one classic that I've reread that tells a story about me.




What Katy Did, by Susan Coolidge is a children's classic first published in 1872. I thought of writing my own blurb, but this one from Goodreads is a lovely description:

Gangly, quick-tempered Katy always means to be beautiful, beloved, and as good as an angel one day, but somehow her resolutions get forgotten or go horribly wrong. When an accidental fall from a swing seems to threaten her hopes for the future, Katy struggles to overcome her difficulties with the vitality and good humor she admires in her cousin Helen.

I've re-read What Katy Did about every 2-3 years since I discovered it at age 12. I think I keep coming back to it because it's a story of triumph over adversity, but in a human way. There is nothing fantastic about Katy, she as a person is really perfectly ordinary and leading a perfectly ordinary life. When her plan for her life goes horribly wrong because of her own mistake, she has to fight hard to become the person she has always wanted to be. I think I like it because her triumph over adversity is not to win a race, or become the best or the first . . . but simply to be a genuinely good and kind person who can be a role model for her many younger siblings. I turn to it when I feel like I'm forgetting what my place in life is meant to be, when I'm struggling against adversity or when I feel like I'm never going to be the first/best. . . . it resets my priorities and reminds me that if I can be a genuinely good person than I am always succeeding. It tells a story of me as an imperfect person, one who struggles and fails, but always picks herself back up :-) 

What classic book do you keep picking back up?? 

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely post.
    I loved (and reread) What Katy Did seceral times during my teens years too, but haven't looked at it since.
    Your story made me feel like trying it again soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great story isn't it? Thanks for stopping by and for the great question this month!

      Delete
  2. I loved this book as a child (and What Katy Did Next) but I haven't reread it as an adult. I think I really need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally worth it, such a sweet story!

      Delete