Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (10)


It's time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish! Todays topic is Top Ten Most Memorable Secondary Characters. But for me there's nine because that's where I ran out of steam :-P So without further ado, here we go . . . in no particular order

1. Fantine in Les Miserable 


Fantine is certainly one of the most memorable characters in Les Mis. Her song is the one that everyone knows and her story is one of the most heart-renching in the novel. But she doesn't appear until well into the original story and dies less than half way through.

2. Raoul of Goldenlake in The Protector of the Small/Song of the Lioness

Image cred: http://minuiko.tumblr.com/

I've been re-reading Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small quartet, one of my favourite YA series, alongside MarkReads and it's been reminding me just how much I love Raoul. He's downright halarious.

3. Detective Inspector Jack Robinson in the Phryne Fisher Mysteries 


This one may be cheating a little, because I really mean the TV version of Jack Robinson, who is very different to the Jack Robinson of Kerry Greenwood's novels. But, both the TV series and the novels are great, so I'm throwing him in there anyway.

4. Marvin the Paranoid Android, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. 

 

Really, is there any explanation necessary here?


5. Hans Hubermann, in The Book Thief.


I actually really didn't enjoy The Book Thief (I know, I'm the only one in the whole universe). But Hans Hubermann with his gentle kindness, generousity of spirit and all round decency was a stand-out character for me.

6. Sabetha, in The Gentleman Bastard series. 


There's been two books so far in Scott Lynch's fantasy series and the story seems to subtley revolve around a woman named Sabetha. Who is memorable because we are still yet to meet her. Maybe this October with book three??!!

7. Wolf, in Scarlet 

art cred: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Scarlet-and-Wolf-359247482
I'm only counting him as a secondary character because really Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles is all about the girls first. I find his backstory extremely intriguing/interesting, hopefully it gets explored more in the next books too!

8. Peter, in Divergent


He's a character whose motivations I just don't quite understand yet and that's always interesting.

9. Lydia, in Pride and Prejudice.


She's the girl we all love to hate. Lately, with multiple Austen in August events going on I've been thinking a lot about Austen's secondary characters.  Her characterisation in The Lizzie Bennet Diaries also made me put a bit more thought into what makes Lydia tick.

Did any of these characters strike a chord with you too? What's on your Top Ten list this week? Link me! 

7 comments:

  1. I completely forgot about Raoul! Great choice. He's one of my favourite Tamora Pierce characters and I'm kind of embarrassed that I overlooked him.

    I included Lydia on my Top 10 list as well - she annoys me immensely but she's so well-written!

    deliciousandfictitious.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kicking myself for forgetting Hans Hubermann. I love him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvin is on my list too! I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is "halarious" and intentional typo? Either way, bahaha.

    I really need to find time to read all of Pierce's novels, rereading the ones I've already read along the way, because I DO NOT REMEMBER RAOUL.

    MARVIN! OMG. You are so right. How could I forget him?

    Loved the characterization of Lydia in LBD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter is a good addition to your TTT list. He does have mysterious motives, and all of the characters on my list are protagonists, so it's good that you recognize the bad guys once and a while.
    Check out my TTT list: http://booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raoul is one of my favorites. I should have just put "Pretty much every character that Tamora Pierce has written" on mine and just left it at that. I love the inclusion of Fantine too. :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete