Monday, August 26, 2013

A-Z Bookish Survey

Because I seem to be endlessly putting off writing reviews at the moment, now seemed like a great time to join the crowd and do the A-Z Bookish Survey from Jamie over at Perpetual Page Turner. Fun Fact: It was through a similar survey back in the day that I had my first ever contact with now-husband!! Weird right?

Image borrowed from Perpetual Page Turner

Author you’ve read the most books from:

Judy Blume (Want an easy way to figure this out if you have Goodreads and keep good track of your stuff? Go to your account, hit “my books”and on the left hand side under your shelves you will see “most read authors”)

Best Sequel Ever:

Though The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi. I LIKED UTNS but TTEN blew me away.

Currently Reading:

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (FINALLY..ok people??)

Drink of Choice While Reading:

Tea! I really like all sorts of green and white teas and always down for recommendations of new teas to try!

E-reader or Physical Book?

I’m definitely a physical book girl but love my Kindle for the gym, review copies and for vacation so I can have lots of options with me.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:

Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. I definitely went for the nice, kind-of-into-dorky-things boys in high school. Also I had a thing with MY boy next door that never blossomed.

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

Hidden Gem Book:

Important Moment in your Reading Life:

Discovering Goodreads. Without Goodreads I would have never started reading again. I was a huge reader but then fell off the map in high school/some of college. Goodreads led me to book blogs and here we are!

Just Finished:

Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy  McGinnis

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:

I’m trying to get better about shutting myself off to some genres (you can help me!) without trying them but I’m certain I won’t ever read any erotica. It’s just not my thing. I don’t mind smutty but not super explicit.

Longest Book You’ve Read:

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb (897 pages)
** easy way to find this out. Go to your Goodreads “read” list, don’t scroll down but where you are on the screen there will be this little tab on the bottom that lets you choose how you want to scroll or how many books you want display. There is also a sort option with a drop down and you can sort by page.

Major book hangover because of:

Number of Bookcases You Own:

4. Two are really tall and then the other two are smaller. I’m out of room so I have piles here PLUS I stored some books on bookshelves at my stepdad’s house.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

The Giver by Lois Lowry — definitely the book I re-read the most ever. I don’t reread often but when I do it’s been just one re-read. The Giver I just kept re-reading over and over again as a kid.

Preferred Place To Read:

In the tub. It really is my favorite place to relax and read. Also, in bed!

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

“Or maybe it’s not a miracle. Maybe this is just life. When you open yourself up to it. When you put yourself in the path of it. When you say yes.” — Just One Day by Gayle Forman. That book actually kind of changed my life and made me say YES to things I had been thinking about.

Reading Regret:

I regret not having read Harry Potter when it came out. I WANT TO BE A PART OF THAT CLUB WHO GREW UP WITH IT! You did see my secret project, yes? I was going to list a book I regretted reading but NOT reading this was a bigger regret.

Series You Started And Need To Finish(all books are out in series):

I have many but I’d say Jessica Darling series. SHOCKING I haven’t finished it considering how much I love it, huh? I’ve read the first three books but just can’t bear to finish it!!

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusack, Just One Day by Gayle Forman, Pride & Prejudice

Unapologetic Fangirl For:

Trish Doller. Her debut, Something Like Normal, is pretty popular in the book blogosphere and one of my favorite contemporaries but Trish deserves so much more praise and I will shout it to everyone who will listen!!

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. PLEASE GET IN MY HANDS, book!

Worst Bookish Habit:

Tricky! What I deem as my worst bookish habit or what you all would? haha. I already laid out my book crimes and you guys cringed so I’ll just go with what I deem it to be…overdue library books! ALWAYS. I can never get it there on time!

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

Your latest book purchase:

Crown of Embers by Rae Carson. I loved The Girl of Fire of Thorns and got book three for review and then I saw this one was on sale!

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

The Program by Suzanne Young. I was going to put it down before bed but was like “what’s one more chapter?” and then uh oh…it’s 3am.
- See more at: http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/2013/08/some-friday-fun.html#sthash.28fjn5s3.dpuf

 
Author you’ve read the most books from:

According to Goodreads its a tie between Debbie Macomber and Terry Pratchett, both with 20. Which is interesting because I wouldn't think of either of those as a 'favourite author.' And in terms of genre they are about as different as it is possible to get.

Best Sequel Ever:

Scarlett, by Marissa Meyer is the first one that comes to mind. I think I'm like a lot of people, I enjoyed it even more than the first in the series! (Cinder)

Currently Reading:

A Most Wanted Man, by John Le Carre (isn't my normal thing, but I have a bet going with the other half about it) and For God, Country and Coca-Cola, by Mark Pendergarst, which is one of my picks for Roof Beam Reader's To Be Read Pile Challenge this year.

Drink of Choice While Reading:

Tea, tea and more tea! I love just plain, good black tea, but my favourite at the moment is Twining's Lemon Scented

E-reader or Physical Book?

 As much as I would like to say physical book, I'm turning to my e-reader more and more lately!! I still want physical books in my house though. . . all the books :-D

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:

It would have been terribly age inappropriate (and I mean really really age inappropriate), but probably Raoul of Goldenlake from Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small quartet. Which is an awesome old-school YA series. Just about everything he says makes me howl with laughter. Actually, I could just say him from Pierce's Song of the Lioness quartet. Because then it would be age appropriate and he'd still grow up into sheer awesomeness. 

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

Divergent, by Veronica Roth. I was scared it would just be a Hunger Games take-off, but it's pretty good in its own right.
 
Hidden Gem Book:

The Uncommon Reader, by Alan Bennett. If you love reading, you will appreciate this one. You just will. Plus you can read it in an hour.
 
Important Moment in your Reading Life:

 When my high school English teacher made me start recording what I'd read. This was long before Goodreads etc, my original list was on paper. I am so grateful she got me into the habit. 

Just Finished:

The Bookstore, by Deborah Meyler. Is it bad that I had to look at Goodreads because I couldn't remember what I finished last?
 
Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:

Erotica (bla). High fantasy and paranormal fantasy - it just doesn't appeal. Anything with lots of blood and gore, because I just can't handle that!
 
Longest Book You’ve Read:

Goodreads tells me it's Les Miserables, which weighs in at 1,463 pages. 

Major book hangover because of:

Room, by Emma Donoghue. I just finished that one recently and man is it a hard hitter!!
 
Number of Bookcases You Own:

At the moment, just one. But it's over two metres tall, three books deep and totally packed. We also have numerous piles on the floor in just about every room of the house.
 
One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

Pride and Prejudice. I must have read it at least 6 times, though it's been a couple of years since the last time.

Preferred Place To Read:

In bed! Preferably when it's raining. That is the best thing ever.

Reading Regret:

Not recording what I'd reader sooner!! I know I read a lot of good books in high school. I just can't remember what they were :-( 

Series You Started And Need To Finish(all books are out in series):

Uhhhhhmmmmm. It would actually be really nice to finish the Redwall series, by Brian Jacques, which was one of my childhood favourites. There's 4 I haven't read (out of 22). 

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

The Protector of the Small Quartet, by Tamora Pierce (which is actually 4 books, but hey). Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
 
Unapologetic Fangirl For:

At the moment, Rainbow Rowell. I really need to get my hands on Eleanor in Park. Fangirl is GREAT!!!! As is Attachments.
 
Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

The Republic of Thieves, by Scott Lynch. Soon!!! It's only been. . . 7 years. . . since the last one in the series came out!
 
Worst Bookish Habit:

Not dusting my bookshelf. It's really gross and I should really do something about it, but it's just really hard to get into all the bookish crevices without taking everything out, which would be a major operation!
 
X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

Fire Along the Sky, by Sara Donati 

Your latest book purchase:

Anna and the French Kiss in hardback. I actually bought it for a friend, but then I just had to keep it (i got her another copy, don't worry!)
 
ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell. Such a cute book!

Doing surveys like this makes me feel so nostalgic! I'd love to see your answers, if you've done the survey, link me to it!


Author you’ve read the most books from:

No comments:

Post a Comment