Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Discussion: Do I really need a niche?

Lately I've seen quite a few posts around the place with titles like 'Top 10 tips for new book bloggers.' They all seem to say the same thing. Be known for something! Find your niche! Stick to one genre! (or a couple at a push). Here's a recent example (I'm not trying to pick on this one blog or post, it was just the first one I found going back). The problem is, I don't want to have a niche.

I read everything. There are only a couple of genres I don't read and I read fiction and non-fiction about equally. The last 10 books I finished contain everything from YA Contemporary to hardcore literary to celebrity memoir. I like reading widely too. I love YA, because I'm still really in that stage of development myself and I can often relate to the characters really well. But I couldn't read enough YA to fill a blog with it, because sometimes I feel like something . . . well, to be honest. . . just a little less angsty. I also love literary fiction and classics, but if I just read them quite frankly I'd get bored. Sometimes my brain needs romance and chick-lit, they're relaxing and fun, but at the same time if I read to much of it all at once I feel like I'm drowning in the fluffyness.

It's weird, but sometimes I feel like I shouldn't have a book blog simply because I read too much. It feels like someone is telling me that I won't get followers, I won't make friends in this community unless I pick something and stick to it. But folks, I don't want too. I don't want to let book blogging push me into changing my style of reading. I also don't want to secretly pretend I'm only reading one type of book and blog about those while devouring others on the side. I want to talk about books. All the books!

So, can I be the one whose niche is not having a niche? Is it possible? I think it's worth a try. I'll just keep on writing about all the books, and talking to all the book bloggy peeps and we'll see how it goes.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment