Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Classics Club July Question



 

I'm getting in with a day to spare for The Classics Club's July question! This month its What classic book has changed your view on life, social mores, political views, or religion?

Personally I find that classics are more likely to enforce my views rather than change them - I think because they generally portray a step back in time (or just backwards) in terms of life, social mores and political views. I often simply feel grateful that I live in the time that I do, rather than the age of Pride and Prejudice. That being said I think the views that they have enforced in me are good ones. They have taught me about the complexity of human beings, the importance of social justice and the need for constant re-evaluation and development of how we view ourselves as humans. Isn't that what makes a classic a classic after all? They teach us something about what it means to be human. A couple that for me that stand out above the rest (from what I've read so far anyway) . . . .

Les Miserables


To Kill a Mockingbird


North and South



What classics have changed your perspectives the most? Or I guess alternatively, which have taught you the most about what it means to be human?

No comments:

Post a Comment