Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Beach Reads

dc44c-toptentuesdayTop Ten Tuesday again at The Broke and the Bookish. This week it's beach reads, which for me means light and fuzzy. Books you can pick up and put down easily, so they don't get in the way of eating, going swimming, playing games etc.


1. The Agatha Raisin series, by MC Beaton


Miss Marple for the modern generation. Agatha is a late 50's, smoking, drinking, man-eating, obnoxious but lovable sleuth solving murders in the English Cotswolds.




2. I've Got Your Number, by Sophie Kinsella


Cute, light and laugh out loud




3. The Discworld Series, by Terry Pratchett


Funny and mind-bogglingly clever fantasy. The Wee Free Men (above) is one of my favourites




4. Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watterson


Because why wouldn't you? I love flicking through books that are sort of not books when I'm on holiday at the beach. Cartoons!




5. Into the Wilderness Series, by Sara Donati


Because if there was such a thing as 'light reading' historical epics, this would be a pillar of the genre




6. The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch


I love this book. So does George R.R Martin (including in places other than the cover quote). It's probably the wittiest fantasy book I've ever read.




7. Emma, by Jane Austen


Because if you're going to read romance on the beach, you may as well go back to the classics




8. Wish Upon a Star, by Olivia Goldsmith


Because sometimes you need something sickly sweet, but somehow also good




9. Attachments, by Rainbow Rowell


Proving that summer romance reads don't have to be trashy ;-)




10. The Bridgertons series, by Julia Quinn


Easy reading regency romance with lots of wit







6 comments:

  1. Kinsella is what beach reading is made of - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I love Emma:)

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard so much about Kinsella I will really have to start it soon! :) Nice list.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I approve of your reasoning for Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pretty much everything Sophie Kinsella writes. I love the cover for The Lies and a witty fantasy sounds fun. I've been meaning to pick up Attachments, too. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list- Emma is one of my favorites!
    Here is my TTT
    http://turnthepagereviews.com

    ReplyDelete