Saturday, June 22, 2013

Discussion: When you can't remember

In an effort to introduce more to this little blog than just reviews, I thought I'd attempt some bookish discussion. Fair warning: in future this may stray into library discussion as well. . . . funnily enough, a job in libraries and a love of books tend to melt together sometimes. Today though. . . does anyone else have that problem where they just can't remember what they've read??

I started recording exactly what I was reading when I was in my last year of high school, spurred on by a teacher who was helping me prep for my New Zealand Scholarship English exam. I've been recording ever since (nearly 5 years now) and am forever grateful to that teacher for installing the habit. BUT, I grew up in a very small town with a very small library and started going through the adult section from about age 12. Which means I read a lot of good books before I started recording. And now there's an awful lot that I genuinely can't remember whether I've read it or not.



Like this one. I actually OWN this book, but I still have absolutely no idea whether I've read it. I suspect I may have when I was about 15, after I picked up the beautiful copy I own at a second hand sale. On the other hand, I may have just put it on the bookshelf when I got it home and never picked it up again.



Here's another one. I think I read this at about 13, when the senior school put it on as their annual play. But it could just be that the plot is so ingrained in my head (both through seeing the play and general pop culture awareness) that I feel like I must have read it? I don't know!!

Do other people have this problem with book amnesia?? I'd love to know that I'm not the only one.

(P.S These two particular examples cropped up as I was trying to figure out how many of the 1001 books I've read. You can see the ones I definitely have read here)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have a few years on me of recording books you've read!! I've just started, so I have years of confusion behind me :) I too suffer from book amnesia, made worse because I have lost so many books through travelling. Sometimes I remember titles but no story, sometimes story but no title or author.

    P.S. If you want to jog your memory check out my post on Around the World in Eighty Days here:
    http://jaydeashe.wordpress.com/2013/06/05/a-man-of-heart/

    ReplyDelete