Thursday, May 30, 2013

Update: 2013 Cookbook Challenge

At the start of this year, I challenged myself to start using my cookbooks, because I've realised I'm the sort of person that buys beautiful cookbooks and then still defaults to google if I'm looking for a recipe. Time to start getting those cookbooks off the shelf! If I don't use them, I lose them (by donating them to a worthy cause).

So as of the 5th month of the year I've saved 7 of the 20 cookbooks I own:



Artisan Bread in five minutes a day, by Jeff Hertzberg & Zoe Francois Used 07/01/13 Master Recipe

Bake, by Alyson Gofton Used March 13, cheese crackers

Classic 1000 Cake and Bake Recipes, by Wendy Hobson    Used 14/01/13 Cheddar Biscuits

Edmonds Cookery Book, Goodman Fielder New Zealand Used 07/04/13 Banana Loaf

Joan Bishop’s New Zealand Crockpot and Slowcooker Cookbook, by Joan Bishop  Used 07/01/13 Pumpkin, Kumara and Peanut Soup

Microwave Bottling, by Isabel Webb  Used 22/02/13 Bottled Rhubarb

Slow Cooking: Easy slow cooker recipes, by Katie Bishop  Used 25/04/2013 Butternut, sage and walnut risotto

3 of these I hadn't used since I got them (Artisan Bread, Microwave Bottling and Katie Bishop's Slow Cooking). Now I've tried them, in all cases I'm glad to be keeping them! 2 are favourites of mine and get used on a regular basis (Joan Bishop, Alyson Gofton's Bake). The final two are true kitchen helpmates - the type of recipe book that are bound to have a simple, foolproof recipe for whatever you want at the time. So I'm glad those are staying on my shelf too!

Still to be 'saved' are:



A Year’s Worth: Recipes from the Dunsandel Store, by Sam Mannering

Best Ever Three and Four Ingredient Cookbook, by Jenny White

Celebration of Summer, Real Magazine

Complete Comfort Food, by Bridget Jones

Country Calender Cookbook, by Alyson Gofton

Cupcake Heaven, Metro books

Edmonds Beginners Cookbook, Goodman Fielder New Zealand

Edmonds More Food for Flatters, Goodman Fielder New Zealand

Food in a Minute: The Cookbook, by Alyson Gofton

Macaron, by Alison Thompson

Ottolenghi: The Cookbook, by Yotam Ottolenghi

One cookbook has already left my kitchen for good. On closer inspection Bread, by Joan Wiener & Diana Collier, wasn't for me. It was a 70's title I'd picked up at a second-hand book sale and the recipes were almost entirely based on fresh yeast. I don't use fresh yeast when I'm baking bread and am not likely to start anytime soon . . . so it's been donated to local charity sale. As it happens though, I've added another cookbook to the list, through a donation to the library where I work (we already had a copy on our shelves)

The Little Book of Chocolate, The Australian Women's Weekly

I think it might be time to do some more baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment