Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Words/Topics that make me instantly pick up a book



Joining in again with Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week, the top ten words/topics that make me instantly pick up a book!

1. France

I've lived in France myself (albeit for a short time) and have a part-French husband. That translates into loving books and memoirs set in France!

2. Jane Austen

Who doesn't love Austenite books? I've already read two this year, Austenland by Shannon Hale and Behind Jane Austen's Door by Jennifer Forest

3. Crafty Fiction

I love good crafty fiction! (fiction books that are focused on homecrafts in some way). My favourite is probably Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series (knitting), but I've also enjoyed the Elm Creek Quilt series by Jennifer Chiaverini. Maggie Sefton's Knitting Mystery series and Rachael Herron's Cyprus Hollow series are next on my to-read list.

4. Books

Books about books are awesome, fiction or non-fiction. The Reading Promise is one of the best books I've read so far this year and I've just been recommended Tolstoy and the Purple Chair.

5. Dystopia

I've always been fascinated with dystopic fiction. I certainly haven't read everything there is to read in the genre (yet!) but when the mood strikes I have fun trying

6. Classic

The classics are wonderful and I try to read at least two or three of the traditional classics every year - I'm currently plowing through Les Miserables. It may take me a few years to get to it, but if its classic literature its usually on the to-read list somewhere

7. New Zealand

I'm a Kiwi girl at heart and because we're such a small, out-of-the-way country, it's always interesting to see what people have to say about it in books!

Turns out I can only think of 7! Guess that will have to do :-D

3 comments:

  1. I didn't even know there was such a thing as crafty fiction! Interesting...

    Have you read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield? It sounds like something that might be up your alley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. . . I just looked it up on Goodreads and added it to the to-read list within two lines of the description. Sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week is the reverse of one we did not long ago, instead of words that make you pick up a book, it’s words that turn you off them. Here’s mine . . […]

    ReplyDelete