Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Will Make My Children Read

dc44c-toptentuesday

It's a freebie week this week for Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and the Bookish. So, it's Top Ten of whatever subject I want! I'm going for 'Top Ten books I will make my children read.' I have a shelf over on Goodreads of the same name. I don't have children yet, but don't want to forget the books I promised myself I would read to them when the time comes. . .  click on the titles for the appropriate Goodreads page

1. The Redwall Series, by Brian Jacques



Anthropomorphic animals go on epic adventures? Yes please! Plus, this series has some of the best descriptions of food I've ever read. Ever.

2. The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters, by Janet and Allan Ahlberg



Enchanting. That's the only word for this one really.

3. The Sophie Series, by Dick King Smith



The image of Sophie stomping round the garden at 6 in the morning in a sponsored walk (for which she has no sponsors) to raise money so she can afford to be a 'lady farmer' is one that still makes me laugh!

4. Protector of the Small Quartet, by Tamora Pierce



These were the books that taught me that girls truly can do everything. The lessons I learnt from Keladry of Mindelan are ones I want to share with my daughters

5. Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy, by Lynley Dodd



I can still recite this book word for word as a 20 something. Besides, who doesn't love children's books that introduce you to word's like 'cacophony'

6. The Jeremy James Books, by David Henry Wilson



As a seven year old I found these hilarious. I'm hoping that Audible and similar sites might dig up the audiobooks, read by Andy Crane, that carried me through many a sleepless childhood night.

7. Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder



14 year old Sophie is confronted with two notes in her mailbox reading 'who are you?' and 'where does the world come from?' The notes first confound her, then lead her on a journey of philosophical discovery. I read Sophie's World for the first time at about 14 and have reread it several times since as my appreciation of philosophy evolves.

8. Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories, by Joy Lankester Brisley



Sweet, simple stories about the everyday life of Millicent Margaret Amanda. These stand the test of time because of their simplistic, yet realistic portrayal of a child's world view, despite Milly-Molly-Mandy's life being very different from that of a child today!

9. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams



One day I will have children and they will be old enough to appreciate Douglas Adams. And I will be the one to read it to them. Or my husband. We might have to fight that one out closer to the time.

10. Fancy Nancy, by Jane O'Connor



These picture books weren't around when I was a kid, but I come across them all the time in my library job and find them surprisingly entertaining. I think the biggest sign of a great picture book is when adults like them too.

5 comments:

  1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is so much fun (I mentioned it in my TTT this week too) and the Fancy Nancy books look so cute! :) My TTT is Fictional Places I’d Love to Vacation: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/05/27/vacation/


    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see lists of fav children's books. I'd recommend Green Eggs and Ham and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and I Love My White Shoes, too. Oh, and Phantom Tollbooth. Plus Wrinkle in Time!

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think making a list like this is a fabulous idea because, if you have children who love to read, you'll have a hard time coming up with new books to hand them! I can't keep up with my 11yo at all. My 4yo, on the other hand, just wants the same books over and over (usually one of the Fancy Nancys), so she's easy :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read, and husbands a reader as well, so I'm kinda counting on our eventual children being readers too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTASTIC choices -- I haven't thought about that book of letters in years, but it was so, so lovely. If you haven't read Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back, give it a try -- it's about a lion who learns to be a sharpshooter and likes to eat marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete