Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books Dealing with Tough Subjects


Another week of Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week is top ten books dealing with tough subjects (abuse, suicide, grief etc). I admit, these aren't my usual kind of books!! When I read grim, it's usually dystopian grim, not real life issues grim. But there's three that are definite favourites:

1. The God Boy, by Ian Cross.


This lesser known classic is a haunting portrayl of family violence and breakdown from the perspective of a thirteen year old boy. It's been over 5 years since I read it and it still sometimes comes back to me at odd moments.



2. What Katy Did, by Susan Coolidge



This was one of my favourite books as a kid! I read it sooo many times. When impulsive Katy falls from an unfinished swing and is suddenly paralysed, she has to learn many hard lessons about making the best of life.

3. A Walk to Remember, by Nicholas Sparks



This book is the exception to my general dislike of Nicholas Sparks. Langdon and Jamie's story of love, and the power of love in the face of death is challenging and moving.

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee (racial prejudice) and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, by Mark Haddon (autism, family relations) are probably close runners up.

There's also a few on my to-read list at the moment. I think the one I'm most looking forward too/most want to read at the moment is All Blacks Don't Cry, by John Kirwin (depression)

What are your favourites dealing with tough subjects?

4 comments:

  1. I loved A Walk To Remember. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one I've read of these is TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (which is, excellent, of course). I'm trying to remember if I actually read A WALK TO REMEMBER or just saw the movie. Nevertheless, I usually avoid Nicholas Sparks like the plague!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of your top 3, but I'm really intrigued by What Katy Did and will check that one out. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lisa. I'm pretty sure you get get What Katy Did from project gutenburg as a free ebook :)

    ReplyDelete