Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I thought I'd like more/less than I did



This week I'm joining in (for the first time) with Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and the Bookish. So hi! This week's theme is 'books I thought I'd like more/less than I did.' Just because I can, I'm going to do 5 of each.

Books I thought I'd like more than I did


1. Sentence of Marriage, by Shayne Parkinson



It's set in New Zealand, which is always fun for me, it's historical, which I like. . .it was free, which is even better, and I'd heard many good things from many different avenues. What can I say. . . it's one of the most depressing, downright horrible books I've ever read.

2. Death comes to Pemberly, by P.D James



I'm a big fan of a well-written Austen adaptation. This one . . . . just didn't do it for me. The characters just didn't feel right

3. Secrets of a Lazy French Cook, by Marie-Morgane Le Moël



French memoirs are another one of my loves, but the tone of this one was just a little to pretentious for me.

4. The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak



Everyone seems to love this book but me. I listened to it as an audiobook (unabridged). One day I might have to try the written book, because I hated it so much in comparison to everybody else that maybe it just didn't translate well to audio?

5. A Year in Provence, by Peter Mayle



It's meant to be a classic of the genre. I just found it.  . . . kinda boring.

Books I thought I'd like less than I did


1. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, by Louis de Bernières



I'd heard mixed things, so when I started it (after impulse buying it at a second hand booksale) I was kinda expecting to drag myself through it. The start was slow, but by the end it was AMAZING. One of those ones you shouldn't read unless you want to be haunted by it for years.

2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer



I didn't know much about this one before I read it, apart from it was a book A LOT of people seemed to have read. I fell in love with it so quickly, and it will definitely be re-read in future.

3. Divergent, by Veronica Roth



I mostly picked it up because it was dystopia, and a relatively light read for me. I don't adore it, but I certainly liked it a lot more than I thought I would!

4. Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins



I thought it would be cute, that I'd probably like it, but not love it. Man, this book is far far far to easy to fall in love with. I want to read it again right now!

5. Dinner at Roses, by Danielle Hawkins



What can I say? Chick lit at its peak folks.

4 comments:

  1. I really need to get to Anna and the French Kiss. Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my first TTT today as well! It's interesting to see a hearty rec for Captain Corelli's Mandolin -- I admit that the Nicolas Cage movie has put me off, but maybe I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband said the movie was awful too, I haven't seen it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, everyone has been talking about Anna and the French Kiss!! I guess I'll have to go read that:) Nice list!!
    Emily @ Blue-Eyed Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete