Saturday, February 9, 2013

Book Miscellany: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

Book Miscellany is my intermittent feature with I share vaguely book related things from around the web. Basically, I'm indulging my bookish-webgeeky self.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is a modern adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, just in time for the classic novel's 200th anniversary. Taking place over multiple platforms, the story tells a familiar tale of 24 year old sarcastic, slightly judgemental grad student Lizzie, her fashion industry sooo-good sister Jane and party-loving sister Lydia. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries has been getting plenty of positive press, including The Guardian calling it the best small-screen Jane Austen adaptation. And I LOVE IT. It's ridiculously good. The modernisation is extremely clever and takes away nothing from the heart of the story. In some ways, it even adds to it, giving minor characters expanded roles in a way which feels true to the spirit of how Jane Austen wrote them. The writing is oh-so-sharp, giving fans plenty of lines to endlessly quote back at each other. (which I will hold myself back from quoting here, because I just know they won't be as fun out of context). So start here. . . . you'll thank me later

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KisuGP2lcPs

And once you're hopelessly addicted, try here and here for more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment