Saturday, December 22, 2012

The 2013 TBR Pile Challenge

So, this year I challenged myself to read 50 books, having come extremely close last year. What with having several months of unemployment at the start of the year though and then finding myself working in libraries, I've completely smashed that number. I don't want to pressure myself into reading 100 books next year, so I need a new challenge. . . enter the TBR Pile Challenge. All I have to do is read 12 books in 12 months that have been on my To-Read pile for over a year. Two alternates are allowed in case of not being able to finish a book one has started. Here's my list for 2013 . . .

Austenland, Shannon Hale  Finished 10/02/13, Reviewed here

My life in France, Julia Child  Finished 12/01/13, Reviewed here

Never let me go, Kazuo Ishiguro  Finished 18/03/13. Reviewed here

Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell Finished 06/07/13. Reviewed here

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Winifred Watson Finished 17/01/13, Reviewed here

A Year in Provence, Peter Mayle  Finished 16/04/13, Reviewed here

Montaillou, Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie Finished 3/06/13 Reviewed here

Freakonomics, Steven Levitt

Knit one, Kill two, Maggie Sefton Finished 25/05/13, Reviewed here

For God, Country and Coca-Cola, Mark Pendergrast

Les Misérables, Victor Hugo    Finished 29/06/13, Reviewed here

A Life in Stitches, Rachael Herron  Finished 26/04/13, Reviewed here

 

Alternates:

Orientalism, Edward Said

A Lion Called Christian, Anthony Bourke.  Finished 21/05/13, Reviewed here

So there we have it. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you're with us! I haven't read any of these, but I would like to read Never Let me Go and Cloud Atlas, someday (I own both). I've also heard great things about Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I should also point out (because you mention something about "not being able to get hold of" some of these books... this particular challenge is actually to read 12 books that we alerady own. So, if any of these books don't qualify (i.e. you don't own them), then you will need to change those out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] Lion Called Christian was one of my alternates for the 2013 TBR Challenge. It wasn’t actually at the top of my to-read pile, but I was in the library looking for a new […]

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] one has been in the to-read pile for YEARS and was one of my picks for this years TBR Challenge. I have a thing for craft-based fiction. It’s fun seeing my real life hobbies cross into […]

    ReplyDelete
  4. […] has been on my to-read mountain for over three years. I was recommended it by a professor at my university who through a twist of […]

    ReplyDelete
  5. […] Miserable is one of my picks for the 2013 TBR Challenge. It’s also on my Classics Club […]

    ReplyDelete
  6. […] Atlas is book 10/12 for my 2013 TBR challenge and 3/50 for my Classics Club […]

    ReplyDelete